Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sharon's medical update on Gardner syndrome and J pouch

Not sure where to begin my thoughts are all over the place. I just found a yesterday that my blood count is holding, but they're still unsure for how long it would continue to be that way. Over the last two weeks the bleeding in my J pouch has increased. In time the corterization will stop working. Dr. Retig will have to do it again and there are still no guarantees that it will work the second time either. It looks like surgery is my only option at this point, since I  just keep getting weaker every day that passes by. I really don't know how much longer I can keep this up.

So Quntin and I decided to call Dr. Retig my G.I. doctor and find out what he thinks our game plan should be. Unfortunately he still didn't have any answers to whether it would help to do a second corterization. He could do it again and in 3 to 4 months I might still have to go in for surgery any way. The problem with waiting for surgery he told me is that my surgeon is retiring in July. Then  I would have to go to a surgeron in New York state.

I have an appointment with Dr. Rombeua on March 14. We aren't sure if he will be able to do my surgery now. This has me very overwhelmed and very scared at this time. I usually can handle things when it comes to me pretty well. I'm not sure what I am scared more about, coming out of surgery with a permanent ileostomy or that he won't be able to do the surgery at all. I've gone through so much and have overcome so much that I never thought that something like this would scare me so much in all my life. I guess in time I will find peace and comfort. I will have answers in 13 days to be exact nothing like counting it down.


My sweet little angel

No comments:

Post a Comment